Are you looking for an easy and convenient way to get your daily nutrition? Looking for a way to enjoy the food you eat while still maintaing a healthy lifestyle? Or perhaps you want to eat better but just don’t have time to cook a full course meal for you or your family. If any of the above sounds familiar then you’ll want to read the following tips
The missing ingredient or to your nutritional success is actually very easy. It’s very healthy, and you can lose more weight, have an abundance of energy, sleep better than you ever have and enjoy improved vitality. What is this “secret” ingredient? It is two different kinds of food actually, smoothies and juices.
What’s the Difference Between Smoothies and Juicing?
Juicing is the process of extracting the juice or liquid from fruits and vegetables. The peel and the pulp are left behind. There are many different types of extractors or juicers and you can certainly juice many foods, like oranges, by hand. Fresh juice is flavorful and nutritious. Anyone who has ever tried to juice more than 1-2 orages at a time with a manual juicer will tell you that it is actually a lot of work. One summer we manually juiced about 20 limes for Margaritas and, although they were delicious I’m not sure it was worth my sore wrists.
Smoothies (pictured at left) are made in a blender. All of the pulp and fiber is contained in your beverage and becomes emulsifies as the blender breaks down all the ingredients Smoothies are generally prepared with a base. You might use water, milk or even yogurt. One of my favorite bases to use is Almond milk or Soy milk. We’ll take a deeper look at the bases for smoothies and a few recipes in just a bit.
For now, know that while both smoothies and juicing is healthy and beneficial, if you’re seeking more fiber in your diet, smoothies are the better choice – provided that you don’t pack your smoothie with sugar and other unhealthy additives.
Speaking of fiber and boosting your health, let’s take a look at how smoothies and juicing can improve your life.
Why Should You Add Juices and Smoothies Into Your Diet?
Okay, you’ve heard all the talk about smoothies and juicing, but maybe you’ve been wondering what all the fuss is about. Let’s start by saying that both juicing and smoothies are a fantastic, and delicious, way to improve your health. But let’s talk specifics, right? You probably want to know WHY they’re good for your health.
- RDA of Fruits and Vegetables – Do you eat enough fruits and vegetables? If you’re like most folks then the answer is no. Even if you have good intentions and eat a fruit or veggie at every meal you may still be behind on your recommended daily allowance.
Juicing and smoothies both help you get your RDA in every single day. Think about it, if you have one breakfast smoothie you may easily consume four to five servings of fruits and vegetables in one beverage. Consume two smoothies in a day and you can count that day a vegetable success.
- More Energy – When you drink a smoothie or a glass of freshly made juice, you get an instant dose of energy. The digestive process is hastened; you digest smoothies quickly, and receive the nutrition and benefits almost instantly.
And if you add protein to your smoothies or juice then your energy will last several hours because the protein helps control the release of sugars into your blood stream.
- Better Health and a Stronger Immune System – Studies have shown that people with a diet high in vegetables and fruits have a lower risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. The antioxidants and vitamins help protect you from common viruses and infections too.
- More Fiber – Smoothies provide the fiber you need to reduce bloat, lose weight, and improve your digestive system.
- Detoxification – Juicing can help flush your body of the natural toxins you’re exposed to every day. You’re exposed to toxins in the air you breathe, in the things you touch and even in the foods you eat.
Pesticides, herbicides, and chemical additives in some foods can cause problems when they build up in your body. Juicing can help you get rid of those toxins and enjoy better health and vitality.
- Weight Loss – Are you looking to lose a little, or a lot, of weight? Juicing and smoothies are a wonderful way to enjoy delicious nutrition and energy without the calories. Think about it, a satisfying smoothie is a much better lunch than a fast food burger, right?
Other Benefits – Finally, many people who add juicing and/or smoothies to their daily nutrition find that they also enjoy better skin, better hair, improved sleep and even an improved sex life. There have even been cases of people recovering from terminal cancer by adopting a plant based diet that includes a heavy amount of juicing. There really isn’t a downside to drinking a delicious glass of fruits and vegetables each and every day.